Monday, August 14, 2006

A danger you should know about

I’ve always thought commercial eye-drops (visine & murine) were a pretty harmless item to have around the house. After reading an article on how bad Tetrahydrozoline poisoning is, I thought I’d send out a message of warning for those of you who may have young children or grandchildren in your home.

Tetrahydrozoline poisoning through ingestion can have 1 or more of the following effects:
Lowering of body temperature.
Blurring vision.
Rapid heartbeat.
Nausea & vomiting.
Interfering with or halting breathing.
Causes seizures & tremors.
Elevating and lowering of blood pressure.
Possible death.

If you suspect Tetrahydrozoline poisoning, call 911 or Poison Control; DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING, unless directed by Poison Control or a physician.

There is also a rumor floating around that a few drops in someone’s drink can induce a case of diarrhea as a joke or revenge. Total fiction. Don’t try it. There have been people who were prosecuted for accidentally killing someone by doing this.

Thought you might want to know.
God bless,