Friday, July 14, 2006

A Good Lesson Learned

The moving is getting closer…
While digging and culling through "stuff" last night I came across some books I wanted to keep. They were writing books, thirty-one of them to be exact. Yes, that’s right, thirty-one. They range from “how to” on newspaper columns to creating characters for fiction. Vowing to not buy another writing book until I actually have at least one chapter of a fiction story on paper, made my heart sink. It was a real eye opener seeing those thirty-one books boxed up. They have been purchased over the better part of twelve years.
Kicking myself for the money I had spent on them, I realized what a tremendous lesson. I learned that what I’ve got to do is stop dreaming and fantasizing about writing and start actually writing.
This lesson can be applied to more that just my books and writing though. In life and in anything I want, I must take what ever it is by the horns, wrestle it to the ground, and force it to submission, and hopefully when the cloud of dirt settles, it will still be what I want, but I’m guessing it’s the journey not the destination that will be the best part.
Maybe, if you’re struggling with a goal or a dream, you can benefit from this lesson too.

My vow right now is to not buy another writing book until I have something (1 chapter) down on paper.

Good day and God bless!